Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Baptist Pumpkin Center & 2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies

The Passage: Baptist Pumpkin Center
Kind of like how the band Sleater-Kinney got its name ... 

Baptist Pumpkin Center is ...
A) A baptist church
B) A pumpkin patch cultivated by devout baptists
C) The middle part of pumpkin pie baked by pious individuals
D) An interstate exit

If you guessed D, you are correct.  Every time I drive 1-12 in Louisiana, I have to chuckle at this funny interstate exit.  The two very odd names together, Baptist and Pumpkin Center, make for a statement that your brain just wants to interpret and make into something else.  Like a pious pie.

Photo found online. 

I have actually been to Pumpkin Center once, because the town plays on its name and has big pumpkin patches in the Fall. People bring kids from all corners of the state to get a pumpkin.  I went on a field trip with school in first grade on said pumpkin pilgrimage and this day was forever remembered as the one time I ate a hotdog ...

Yes, until I was 21 years old (and had Gray's Papaya), this field trip was the one time I ate a hotdog. I can tell you no other events from the day because I was so nervous leading up to lunch that I would have to eat a hotdog and so proud of myself after.

I also remember all of the girls being very protective of the pumpkins they had fastidiously chosen.  No one wanted to put them on the bus out of fear of losing their thoughtfully chosen pumpkin. So, I remember being six and eating a hotdog with a pumpkin in my lap under a big autumnal oak tree.

And this image is just why I have pumpkin on the brain. Fall is here and Louisiana is getting that great crisp, Fall smell. It is my favorite time of year.

Fast Food: Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies
And some canine cuisine ... 

My Treat: 

Pumpkin photos by Robert Giglio 

These beauties are just two ingredients: 1 can pumpkin + 1 box of spice cake mix. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and voilĂ  cookies. 
I have been making them for a couple of years and honestly can't remember where I found the recipe online, but I have seen it multiple places. 
To make the cookies extra delicious, I add cinnamon sugar and clove
Isn't the smell of clove just delightful? 

His T-R-E-A-T:


If you thought my people recipe was easy, try this canine cookie ... 
I scooped out the last tablespoon of pumpkin and set it aside for Rasco.  Then I added a tablespoon peanut butter and a teaspoon flour. I rolled it out and cut it with a fall cookie cutter. This made one big treat for my little man.  I came up with the recipe because I saw pumpkin was an ingredient in many homemade dog treats - as is peanut butter. 

In fact, I saw a few articles that described how pumpkin is soothing on your dog's digestion, kind of like how people medicate with ginger. As always, check with your vet about the benefits; but Rasco really liked his treat :) 




3 comments:

  1. I have always wondered what that exit was all about!

    P.S. rasco is extra precious in that picture. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, my dog, Mox, is celebrating his first birthday Thursday! He is getting this pumpkin & peanut butter treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Happy Birthday to Mox. I hope he likes it!

      Delete

Blogging tips