Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Born This Way & Baba Ghanoush


The Story: Puerto Rican? Lebanese. I feel it. 
If you get this Mean Girls reference, I love you. 

When I first saw the “Born This Way” episode of Glee, I wanted this shirt:

Found online.

Ok, I wanted this one too ... 

Found online. 

But, back to the "Lebanese" top Santana is wearing ... 

Read the following in the voice of the guy who does the recap at the beginning of the show (If you don't watch Glee, then imagine it as narrated by Morgan Freeman):  So Santana is wearing a shirt that says "Lebanese" because Brittany is a little ... off? And she wants Santana to feel comfortable enough to come out as a Lesbian, not to be confused with the ethnicity.  And that's what you missed on (high-pitched voice) Glee! 

As sweet as Brittany is, I wanted the shirt because I am Lebanese.  And because the Glee Lebanese/Lesbian joke is not new to my family at all.

When my sister was in first grade, the class was discussing Asia.  And Asian students could volunteer to discuss their heritage before the class.  The teacher thought it would be interesting, knowing we were Lebanese, to ask my sister a few questions. With students pointing out China and Lebanon on the map, you could see how big Asia is.

So my sister stood in front of the class and pronounced herself a quarter Lesbian.  She explained that since my grandfather was a full Lesbian, my mom was half and she was a quarter.

The teacher thought it was funny and innocent. But my mom did get a note, just letting her know there appeared to be some confusion.  

Kids just say the darnest things, don't they? 

The Dish: Baba Ghanoush
Speaking of Lebanese ... 

I would like to tell you this Lebanese recipe for Baba Ghanoush is authentic, but it isn't. My German-New Orleans dad, who learned to love Mediterranean food through my mom's Lebanese family, actually came up with this super simple Baba Ghanoush recipe, prepared on the grill.

Ingredients:
1 Eggplant
2 Teaspoons Garlic
3/4 oz. Tahini
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil (I may add another tsp.)
Salt
Lemon Juice
Cilantro

Eggplant, tahini and garlic ...  Photo by Robert Giglio. 

Heat up the grill.
Allow eggplant to cook for about 30 minutes, until soft.
Poke holes in eggplant so steam can get out and let it cool.
Peel the skin off, you don't need to be OCD about this, a little skin won't hurt.
Add garlic, tahini and olive oil.
Mash it together.  You may need to cut chunks of eggplant with a knife.
Add salt and Lemon juice to taste. Continue mixing.
Top with Cilantro.
Serve!

Baba Ghanoush - delish.  Photo by Robert Giglio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips