Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My First Request & Confetti Cake

The Challenge: Homemade Confetti Cake 
Think outside the box ... 


Several weeks back, I was excited to get my first request.  Well, it wasn't my first request. But, my first request from someone with whom I do not share DNA.  And, honestly, it was a little bit of a challenge. 

Ashley wanted to know if I had a recipe for Funfetti Cake. Not box cake. Bona Fide funfetti.  I did not. 

So I took to the Internet, found a few good white cake recipes and decided I would add sprinkles from there.  

I needed approval from the baking grandmaster, my grandmother. Oma and I then crafted a genius, and delicious, Confetti Cake recipe. 

In short: Ashley, I hope you enjoy your custom recipe.  Robert and I sure did!

Cheers! 

This one's for you Ashley! Photos by Robert Giglio. 

Ta-Da: Homemade Confetti Cake!

Ingredients
   2 ¾ cups sifted cake flour, half all-purpose, half cake (I proportioned it 1 ¼ Cake Flour and 1 ½ all purpose)
   4 teaspoons baking powder, just a tad less is good. Do Not Exceed 4 teaspoons
   ½  teaspoon salt, just a tad less is good. Do Not Exceed ½ teaspoon
   4 egg whites
   ½  teaspoon cream of tartar 
   1 ½  cups sugar ( ¾ cup granulated half white, ¾ cup confectioners sugar)
   ¾ cup butter, softened
   1 cup milk (maybe more or less depending on softness or hardness of batter at the end, I used the whole cup)
   1 teaspoon vanilla extract
   1 teaspoon almond extract (I used my secret ingredient arak, if you use 1 tsp arak, still include ½ tsp almond extract)
   ½  half cup sprinkles

Naked Cake. 

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Oma said three times, I accidentally did it once … oops!
Beat egg whites until foamy with cream of tartar. Gradually add ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup confectioners sugar.
In a separate bowl, cream butter and add remaining 1 cup sugar.  Blend egg mixture into this bowl.
Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk a small amount at a time – this is where you see if you use all the milk.
Pour in extracts and sprinkles.
When batter is evenly blended, pour it into a standard baking sheet (10 x 15) lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Allow cake to cool.
Frost … I frosted the cake with the same arak icing recipe I shared before over cupcakes. See this recipe and learn about my secret ingredient here.
Decorate with Confetti Sprinkles.
Enjoy!





Got any requests or would like to share some fun family traditions? Let me know

1 comment:

  1. This cake looks so moist and good! You did a great job with it. Looking at it is making me hungry! :)

    joannadell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips