Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dia de los Muertos & Calavera Cake Balls


Dia de los Muertos Calaveras
You've never had so much fun with death ... 



When I took Spanish for the first time in 7th grade,  I completely fell in love with calaveras, Catrinas and Dia de los Muertos.



In fact, I started to collect calavera figures in high school. And, I take my collection very seriously, only buying them on special occasions.  My favorites are a stripper girl I picked up in Sacramento and a journalist from Austin. I used to have a Frida* 
from New Orleans, but she got lost in a move :(


My collection makes my bookshelf a fiesta everyday. 

Growing up in New Orleans, famous for Mardi Gras, voodoo and graveyards, I like a good satire or something dark. So, the extra zest in the Dia de los Muertos celebration was something I could hop on board with. 

But, getting back to my collection ... Calavera Catrina, an upper class woman minus a layer of skin, was designed by the artist Jose Guadalupe Posado as a social satire. But, she is now an icon of the holiday. And many people, like myself, collect her in different likenesses. 

Sugar calaveras are also traditionally eaten on Dia de los Muertos.  And while I have not mastered this art, I did create my own variation ...


Calavera Cake Balls
Not sugar skulls but still good ... 


Bake a regular white cake. A box cake is ok (But here is my white cake recipe)
Combine with one can of vanilla or white icing (Here is my favorite homemade icing recipe
Roll into balls and freeze for about 20 minutes
Dip in melted white chocolate or almond bark
Decorate!




*And Speaking of Frida ... 
She is a huge hero of mine ... so I dressed up as her for Halloween! 
Oh and Robert was the again topical Lance Armstrong. 

Like my instagram pick? Follow me for a photo-a-day throughout November. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips