Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Birthdaycation and Homemade Pasta

My Hotlanta Birthday Trip
We laughed until we cried and we cried until we laughed 

I first want to thank my mom for giving me the best present and buying me a plane ticket to see my sister and our shared best friend Rachael. So, really, I have two sisters.  I then want to thank my Rachael and her husband Johnny for letting me crash at their place in North Carolina for a couple nights, their new town is just so cute. And lastly, I would like to thank the best big sister in the entire world for planning my fabulous birthday trip to Hotlanta where we saw Regina Spektor. After what Rachael figured was nine years of listening to Regina we finally were seeing her all together, and for my birthday! Julie was the only one who had seen her before so I was overflowing with excitement.

But the whole drive from North Carolina (where we flew in, me from Louisiana and Julie from DC) to Atlanta, we laughed, cried and got in all of that fabulous sister time.  I am so lucky to have these two. And I am so fortunate to have all of the wonderful people in my life that made my birthday special last week, with letters, phone calls, messages and an Audrey Hepburn children's book :) 

For my birthday dinner, we went to Alma Cocina in downtown Atlanta, which I cannot recommend enough. Everything was delicious, lots of vegetarian options and they brought me a fabulous tres leches cake for my birthday. Then we saw Regina at the Tabernacle.  Center balcony!

birthdayhotel tights rach
girls regina


1. hotel lobby, concert looks. 2. my polka dot tights 3. with rachael at alma
4.  the girls 5. tres leches cake  6. regina :) 

The concert was just the best. She played a little bit of everything, old and new. And closed the show with our three favorites, Us, Fidelity and Samson. Best show ever. Sunday morning was brunch at Radial Cafe near Little Five Points. Super yummy! We loved the challah French bread. Then it was back to North Carolina ... where my sister taught us how to make homemade pasta. 


Homemade Pasta
Just add wine for the perfect end to a birthday weekend

Ingredients: 
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I use whole wheat flour)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. Using a food processor, process basil leaves until chopped very fine. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and pulse two or three times, or until combined. Add egg, 1 teaspoon oil, and the water until dough forms a ball shape. If dough seems dry, add a bit more water. Wrap dough in a piece of plastic wrap which has been coated in a few drops of olive oil. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours.(or freeze for 45 min. or so)
  2. Remove dough from refrigerator, and cut into 6 equal size portions. Run pasta though pasta machine, or roll with rolling pin to desired thickness. Use the additional flour to coat pasta while rolling. (Julie said you can cut the pasta with cookie cutters to make fun shapes)
  3. Allow pasta to dry for one hour prior to cooking.
  4. Cook in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. This should take only a 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pasta.
The final product with pesto and veggies. 


1 comment:

  1. homemade pasta?! you're a rockstar! that always seems so intimidating to me.
    I'm glad Atlanta treated you well! looks like the concert was perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips