Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Red Velvet, White & Blue and Sprinkles Love

Red Velvet, White and Blue 
Copycat Sprinkles Cupcakes with a Patriotic Twist 


In honor of the 2012 Election, I decided to bake patriotic cupcakes.  So, naturally I settled on Red Velvet with Blue icing.  What batter way to celebrate democracy?


And I couldn't just make any red velvet cupcake ... I had to make the best. Which brings me to my all consuming love of Sprinkles Cupcakes and our long distance relationship, as there are no Sprinkles stores here in Louisiana. Our visits are kind of seedy, whenever I have work in DC I stop by for a rendezvous.  

But our most recent encounter was wholesome.  You see, my birthday is tomorrow and my mom gave me a Sprinkles Chai Cupcake kit ... My absolute favorite flavor.  So instead of using the kit last night, I am saving it for a special occasion.  But I used the cream cheese icing recipe that comes in the kit last night. I still had to google a copycat red velvet recipe, and I found this one online over at the Carrot Top Mom. It was quite delicious.  

To see the Red Velvet recipe from Carrot Top Mom, click here. But here is the official cream cheese icing recipe that came in my kit ...  

Ingredients: 
8 oz cold cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter, firm
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/8 tsp salt
Blue food coloring to your liking, too much makes it crystalize!

Beat cream cheese, butter and salt until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar. Add vanilla. Blend in food coloring.




1. Beautiful Batter 2. Fresh out the oven 3. Red Velvet, White and Blue 
Photos by Robert Giglio 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips