Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Peppermint Margaritas & Christmas Movies

Peppermint Margaritas
Take the edge off this holiday season 

Ingredients (for two): 
2 tbs Grenadine
1/2 cup Tequila
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Sugar
10 Peppermints or two Candy Canes, broken
1 tsp Peppermint Schnapps, or to taste
1 tbs lime juice, or to taste
Salt

Make simple syrup: Boil water and add sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add broken peppermint pieces and let simmer until flavor is absorbed. 
Pour tequila, grenadine and triple sec into pitcher and stir. Mix in half of the simple syrup, and use more to taste. Add lime juice and schnapps to taste.  Drop in just a pinch of salt. 
Make sure it is well mixed. Put in fridge to cool. 
Rim cup with peppermint sprinkles or finely mashed candy canes/mints and garnish with peppermint. Enjoy! 

Photo by Robert Giglio 

My TOP 3 Christmas Movies 
In no particular order ... 

3)  Christmas Vacation 

Like most American families, we stuff ourselves and then watch movies.  It's a Christmas Day Tradition.  After we watch Independence Day, we usually pop in this bad boy. And when we aren't watching it, we quote it.  This house is bigger than your old one Clark. 



2) The Muppet Christmas Carol

Ok, so at first this post was going to be a love letter to The Muppet Christmas Carol.  It will forever hold a special place in my heart because it is the very first movie I saw in a movie theater, way back in 1992.  I was a young three and my Dad took my sister and me to see it.  I fell asleep during the previews. But we still have the VHS that came out in 1993 and my family watches it every Christmas.  I adore Ms. Piggy's, aka Mrs. Cratchit, sass, the little bunny that sings Good King Wenceslas, the part where Rizzo can fit through the bars and my god do I love Michael Caine. Children's film be damned, he puts his all into being Scrooge, and it's awesome.  If you can watch the movie without crying when Old Scrooge regrets a lost love, you, quite frankly, have no soul.


1. Love Actually

Tonight, Robert and I are having a Christmas date. We are watching Love Actually and drinking my Peppermint Margaritas. I adore this movie and watched it so often that I had to make a rule for myself — I can only watch it once during Christmas.  In the nine years — yes it has been that long since the movie came out — that I have been watching this movie, my favorite couple has changed. Sometimes it's the couple that doesn't speak the same language, because A) Colin Firth and B) It reminds me of my German and Lebanese grandparents.  I also love the Prime Minister and his adorable Natalie.  But the "To Me, You are Perfect"scene will always be a favorite/guilty pleasure.



3 comments:

  1. whaaat? peppermint margaritas?! i need to try this! and yes, yes, yes to your movie list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty proud of these peppermint lime margaritas! Super delish. And I am jazzed to watch all of these movies - 1 down, 2 to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great drinks recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips