Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Animal Pasta - Cookie cutters aren't just for cookies!

You may remember my previous pasta post. Well, this week has a fancy little twist.  Use cookie cutters to make animal shaped, or any shaped, pasta! 

Ingredients: (for pasta)
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil (If you do not have enough basil, substitute with spinach, or just use spinach)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  1. Using a food processor, process basil leaves until chopped very fine. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and pulse two or three times, or until combined. Add egg, 1 teaspoon oil, and the water until dough forms a ball shape. If dough seems dry, add a bit more water. Wrap dough in a piece of plastic wrap which has been coated in a few drops of olive oil. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours. (Or freeze for 45 min. or so)
  2. Remove dough from refrigerator, and cut into 6 equal size portions. Run pasta though pasta machine, or roll with rolling pin to desired thickness. Use the additional flour to coat pasta while rolling. My sister Julie  (this is her recipe) said you can cut the pasta with cookie cutters to make fun shapes. So, I used my zoo set. 
  3. Cook in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. This should take only a 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pasta.

While I am only sharing a new take on the above recipe, I am sharing my sister's Greek Yogurt Pesto recipe for the first time. It is an excellent pasta topper!


Ingredients: (for pesto) 
Blend in food processor ... 


2 cups packed fresh basil leaves (2-3 bunches)
¼ cup pine nuts toasted
¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1 large clove garlic, quartered
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon (or to taste)

I sautéed some veggies to blend with the pesto.  I used eggplant, bell peeper and tomato.  But you could blend your favorites too! 



Photos by Robert Giglio 







For more creative ways to use cookie cutters, see these posts: dog treats, animal pie-lettes or plain old cut out cookies

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline!!
    Your blog is so adorable and I check it out almost everyday! Ur recipes are so great!!
    I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!! Your blog so totally deserves it!!

    Check out my post for all the details!! http://fwterrell.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award-nominee.html

    ~Fannie
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet of you Fannie! Thank you so much for the nomination. I love your blog too and read it as soon as a new post pops up on my home page! Thanks again!

    Good Blogging!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips