Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Farewell 30 Rock & Cheesy Blasters

Farewell 30 Rock 
You will be missed 

Many of you already know how much I love T.V. — especially 30 Rock. But to properly tell this story, you must also know how crappy January 2013 was ... 


So, I won't be cute about it. It was pretty terrible.  It was Grandma passing away, long distance relationship, hand in a splint, getting the flu with an upper respiratory infection and a possible minor concussion bad. 

On top of it,  30 Rock was going off the air.  I know that is a stupid addendum, because a show is such a minor thing. But, there is more to it than that.  After Oma died, I was so depressed.  And very lonely. Robert, my sister and my friends were far away in other states.  The one thing I was looking forward to after a few weeks of grieving with my family was a trip to visit Robert.  On this trip, we were going to watch the 30 Rock finale together (Robert's love for Tina Fey only makes me love hime more) and make Cheesy Blasters.  

My trip didn't happen because I got the flu and an upper respiratory infection.  When I woke up sick, I cried.  My light at the end of the hardest month of my life went out.  There would be no visit. No Robert. And no Cheesy Blasters.  

I was wrong.

But, I'll get to that. 

You see if I learned anything in January, it is that just because the person you love isn't physically with you doesn't mean they are gone.  On the grander scale, I realized that my Oma is such a force in my life  she won't ever be gone from it.  I also learned that I have wonderful friends and family who will be there for me no matter how far they are.

I was at my parents house when I got the flu. So, last Thursday I asked my mom's permission for the T.V. at 7 p.m. She said no problem but suggested I take a much needed fever nap.  When I woke up at 6:30,  my mom had made Cheesy Blasters for dinner. And Robert called to arrange a video g-chat date while we watched the show.  

I logged in to video chat only to find I had an online surprise party waiting.  My sister had arranged the whole thing, down to the Cheesy Blaster. I watched the show with my mom, sister, brother in law, Robert and a couple of friends, even though we were in five different cities. And a few them had 30 Rock themed snacks: the aforementioned Cheesy Blaster, night cheese, Liz Lemon-ade and Sabores de Soledad.

I am so very lucky to have a such caring people in my life.  

Mom & me tuning in from NO, Emily in NY, Jake in BR, Sister & husband in DC and boyfriend in PA.

SURPRISE! 

Cheesy Blasters 
And then Meat Cat flies off on his skateboard ... 

You take a hot dog
Stuff it with some jack cheese
Fold it in a pizza
You’ve got Cheesy Blasters

My mom took turkey dogs. Stuffed them with jack cheese. 

And rolled them in a pizza made with puff pastry.

You got Cheesy Blasters. 

I LOVE YOU MOM! 



P.S.  Let's take a moment to honor Liz Lemon, the every woman ... 


 









You're Welcome.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that looks intense! Also, if you ever need anyone to empathize about long distance relationship stuff, just let me know. My boyfriend has lived in DC since the summer and, well, now I'm an additional 3,000 miles away. I know it sucks. But I'm sending good vibes your way that February starts looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your support Kristen! I appreciate it. 3000 miles - ouch! But I know your European adventure will still be fabulous! And hopefully my long distance gap narrows if I get a job closer to Pa. Just hoping for some good opportunities. Or just one lol!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips