Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Strawberry Jalapeño Cupcakes with Buttercream Lime Frosting ... What the what?!

My sister hosted a Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday. So, I decided to put on my chef's sombrero and whip up some festive cupcakes.  I came up with a strawberry jalapeño recipe that is simply amazing! They are sweet but pack a little punch with the candied jalapeños and the lime frosting compliments the heat perfectly. 




For the Strawberry Jalapeño Cupcakes ... 


·       3/4 cup strawberries
·       1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
·       1 teaspoon baking powder
·       1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
·       1/4 cup milk, room temperature
·       1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·       1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
·       1 cup sugar
·       1 large egg and 2 large egg whites, room temperature
·       candied jalapeños*

Before we get started.  Here is how I candied the jalapeños …

-       12 slices of jalapeños from a jar
-       Pinch of salt
-       3T vinegar
-       ¼ cup sugar

Bring sugar, salt and vinegar to a boil. 
Add jalapeño and simmer for six minutes. 
AFTER THE STRAWBERRY IS PUREED, puree the candied jalapeños.
Set aside.

OK now back to the batter …

Puree strawberries.  Then, pour them in a bowl milk and vanilla, set aside.  
Combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
Cream butter and sugar, slowly add in eggs.
Slowly blend in milk mixture. Then dry ingredients.
Before totally mixed, blend in candied jalapeños.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 in lined cupcake pan. 
Allow to cool and add icing. 


For the Buttercream Lime Icing ... 


1 cup unsalted butter, softened  
3 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt – I may have sprinkled a tad more, to taste
1 tablespoon flavoring extract (Arak; but since it is scarce almond can work)
3.5 T lime juice

Mix it up. (If too runny, add more sugar. If too thick, add a splash of milk.)
Decorate! I topped mine with lime and strawberry slices. 




5 comments:

  1. Once again, I'm totally going to have to try one of your recipes...love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I seriously recommend them! Let me know how they turn out if you try them!

      Delete
  2. lovely cupcakes my dear in fact i like the presentation most.. quite attracting post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm curious, did you use pickled jalapenos from a jar for this recipe? I'm hoping to make these soon and wasn't sure if fresh jalapenos would work or if they need to be pickled before they are candied. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara! I have used both jar and fresh jalapenos for the recipe and have not found a difference. When I used fresh jalapenos, I bought two peppers, sliced them and rinsed off the seeds. I counted 12 of these slices and candied them. I hope this helps! Good baking :) - Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips