Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Yinzers & the Klondike Bar

As many of you already know, I visit Pittsburgh frequently.  My boyfriend Robert lives there and is studying space robots at Carnegie Mellon, or something like that.  Isn't he smart? Anyway, I had the best time when I visited him last weekend.  


Our first stop was lunch at Primanti Brothers in Market Square. I had been dying to go because it is revered by foodies as a Pittsburgh institution.  Make no mistake, this isn't a fancy place.  All the sandwiches are served with fries and coleslaw, on the inside. These are hearty, Pittsburgh sandwiches. I had the Kielbasa and Robert had the roast beef.  And they were delicious.  Robert ended up finishing mine, but I don't think he minded. 


My sandwich according to instagram

On Saturday we went to the Strip District. I LOVE THE STRIP DISTRICT. It reminded me of the French Market in New Orleans or Eastern Market in DC. It is one of those city market places with international foods and goods lining the street.  So much to see and eat.  We stopped in Mon Aimee Chocolat and I drooled over German chocolates. I couldn't help but feel a little sentimental when I saw the sweet gold packaged marzipan fruits.  Oma always had them as a treat and she topped her cakes and pastries with the delicate candies. I bought some Kinder chocolates which also reminded me of her, especially the Happy Hippos ... which I also instagrammed. 



Throughout the Strip District, I was reminded repeatedly of a Pittsburghism that was emblazoned on a lot of home town merchandise. The word "Yinz."  Yinz, like y'all, means you all.  And Pittsburghers pride themselves in this colloquialism, calling themselves Yinzers. 


But how does "you all" become yinz?  

Yinz comes from you ones, which stems, apparently, from Scots-Irish.  You ones evolved in Pittsburghese to Yinz.  And the city takes pride in the word.  Much like I take pride in the word y'all and Ninth Warders who say "Where Y'at" (like my family) call themselves Yats.



What would you do for a Klondike Bar? 

Or at least some AC

I should mention that Sunday we were sweating it out ... or escaping to Crazy Mocha to drink mint tea and beat the heat. You see my boyfriend's Lawrenceville place doesn't have AC — a concept I have trouble with because I grew up with at least 80 degree temperatures most of the year.

So, with summer heat on my mind, I decided to give a chilly recipe this week ... which also happens to hail from Pittsburgh.  The Klondike Bar, with its famous jingle (1,2), started in Pittsburgh as a beloved local ice cream dish at Isaly's.  Though there seems to be some debate online about whether the dish is indigenous to Isaly's first location in Ohio or its early Pittsburgh operation.




Homemade Klondike Bars 

Ingredients:
Coconut Oil
Milk Chocolate
Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt of your choice

Freeze a baking sheet. When cold, lay down parchment paper and scoop ice cream onto surface.  Cut into circles or squares with cookie cutter.  Freeze again for 30 minutes to an hour. I only made four palm sized circles.

Melt milk chocolate.  I used one bag of chocolate chips total. So melt half of the bag and stir in 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil.  Allow to cool slightly but don't let chocolate harden. Pour it over the ice cream squares/circles. Freeze again for 30 minutes to an hour.

Flip the bars over and melt the other half of the chocolate chips, stirring in 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil.  Allow to cool slightly but don't let chocolate harden. Pour it over the ice cream squares/circles. Freeze again for 30 minutes to an hour. Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips